Homeschooled high schoolers follow the same requirements as other high school students when pursuing driver’s licenses and permits in West Virginia.

A permit holder must maintain school enrollment and satisfactory progress. For homeschoolers, “school enrollment” simply means compliance with one of the homeschool exemptions under WV Code 18-8-1(c). A homeschooled applicant who has already graduated but is not yet 18 years old could be asked to show his or her diploma. 

For additional requirements, visit the DMV site here and check specifically under “Procedures On Driver’s Licenses.”

To pursue driver’s permits online, click here. 

For the changes made in 2022, click here.

Want to check the WV Code for yourself? Refer to the following sections:



  1. [See (a), (2), and (b)]