Getting a Driver’s License

Homeschooled high schoolers follow the same requirements as other high school students.

WV Code 18-8-11 (a), which is not homeschool-specific, provides that a prospective driver under age 18 must either provide proof of a high school diploma or provide documentation of school enrollment plus proof of satisfactory progress. Because they must verify “satisfactory progress,” most attendance directors want to see assessment results for the previous year.  Failure to obtain and present a form approved by the DOE will result in the state’s refusal to process the application.

Please note that the requested assessment results are used to verify satisfactory progress as required in this section of the law, not 18-8-1(c)(2), which is the homeschool exemption.

If a homeschool student has graduated from high school prior to the 18th birthday, proof of graduation (diploma) must be provided to the DMV office when taking the written/driving test.  The homeschool diploma is accepted as if it were issued by a public school.  This memorandum  was sent to all DMV Regional offices in August 2015 informing them to accept homeschool diplomas.

*The DMV requires several other documents.  Please check their requirements to assure everything is in hand.

§18-8-11. School attendance and satisfactory academic progress as conditions of licensing for privilege of operation of motor vehicle.

(a) In accordance with the provisions of sections three-a and five, article two, chapter seventeen-b of this code, the Division of Motor Vehicles shall deny a license or instruction permit for the operation of a motor vehicle to any person under the age of eighteen who does not at the time of application present a diploma or other certificate of graduation issued to the person from a secondary high school of this state or any other state or documentation that the person: (1) Is enrolled and making satisfactory progress in a course leading to a general educational development certificate (GED) from a state-approved institution or organization or has obtained the certificate; (2) is enrolled and is making satisfactory academic progress in a secondary school of this state or any other state; (3) is excused from the requirement due to circumstances beyond his or her control; or (4) is enrolled in an institution of higher education as a full-time student in this state or any other state.